Pair jailed after 16-year-old killed on moped

Pair jailed after 16-year-old killed on moped

Two men have pleaded guilty to manslaughter after killing a 16-year-old on a moped in Birmingham last year.

Liam Mooney was on the back of the moped on the evening of 22 March on Rocky Lane, Perry Barr.

Two of his friends were on another moped and they had been riding around the area.

Yesterday, (5 January) at Birmingham Crown Court, Paul Biggs and Dale Sharpen pleaded guilty to Liam’s manslaughter and actual bodily harm against the 18-year-old rider.

There was an altercation with a Volvo at a roundabout. This resulted in the car chasing the moped. In an attempt to avoid being hit the rider tried to escape by riding onto the kerb to get off the road.

The Volvo, driven by Biggs, deliberately hit the bike just before this point and forced the moped to lose control. The bike crashed into a stationery car and stopped on a nearby grass verge.

Paul Biggs (left) and Dale Sharpen (right)

The car then made off.

Liam suffered serious head injuries, he was taken to hospital, but tragically died the following day.

The rider of the bike panicked and ran off. He attended hospital later with severe bruising to his pelvis and abdomen. Fortunately he did not have any broken bones.

Witnesses gave us as much information as they could and our investigation started. Police trawled hours of CCTV and ANPR cameras to find the silver Volvo S60.

The car was registered to a false name and address.

Further enquires were carried out to track the cars movements.

Police found CCTV which showed the pair at various locations in Essex begore travelling to Birmingham on 22 March.

We were able to track their movements for most of the day and moments before the crash.

They made their way back to the London area after – the car has not been recovered to date.

Biggs and Sharpen were arrested on 11 May and charged with murder and wounding.

Biggs, aged 26, from Hutton Drive, Brentwood, Essex, was sentenced to 11 years and three months in prison. He was also disqualified from driving for 12 and a half years. Sharpen, aged 31, from Vicarage Road, Woodford Green, Essex was sentenced to nine years.

Detective Inspector Ranj Sangha, from our homicide team, said: “Liam’s death was tragic and completely uncalled for.

“Being chased by the car must have been terrifying for him and the young rider. The level of aggression and rage used was totally disproportionate and their actions have left a young man dead, and his family and friends devasted.

“I hope the fact they have admitted their guilt today and saved Liam’s loved ones the pain and anguish of a trial offers them some comfort – as well as knowing that they will now serve lengthy prison sentences.”